Saturday 17.08.13

We left Corme at 9.15 in fog, ready for our passage around Finisterre.

Leaving Corme

Leaving Corme

We decided to head out far enough to give us ‘sea room’, in case the conditions worsened, and found the fog a lot thinner the further we went out.
Lots more dolphins came to play and I got some video of them on the iPad, unfortunately I haven’t got the right connections to transfer it yet…. perhaps that’s a good thing as Marcus can be heard muttering in the background and I sound like an over excited leprechaun! .

After we seemed to be clear of dolphins, we let out the fishing line to try and catch dinner. Unfortunately, just after Marcus had gone down for a nap and I was sunning myself on the foredeck, I heard the line begin to whizz…….we’d caught something!

I’m a complete ‘wuss’ when it comes to reeling in a flapping fish, so I had to go and wake the Master Fisherman. On the way I glanced back at the line and found we hadn’t caught a fish, but a sea gull. The poor thing was flapping in vain some 100 meters behind us. Marcus managed to reel it in to the boat and lift it out of the water in the catch net

We won't be trailing mackerel spinners again!
We won’t be trailing mackerel spinners again!

… had the line caught around its leg and although it was still alive, it was clear that it wasn’t going to survive, so Marcus did the most humane thing and ‘dispatched’ it swiftly.

Meanwhile I was totally useless and had fled to the front of the boat and took brief peeks (and a photo) of the Gull Garotter and his catch.

As we approached Finisterre, the fog began to lift and we could see that there were other boats out there in the fog!

Finisterre appearing out if the fog

Finisterre appearing out if the fog

We arrived in the Ria de Muros at 1930 and dropped anchor well away from the ‘foul ground’ mentioned in the almanac.

Entering Muros

Entering Muros

Muros is an old fishing town with stone colonnaded buildings and narrow stone paved streets, that wind and cross each other and open out into small squares. For all you Yachties …. It is one of the best little towns that we have been to and well worth a visit. The anchorage was on the deep side, but in sand and the access at the town slip was easy for the dinghy. I wish I had more photos!

The square we stopped in for a drink

The square we stopped in for a drink


After lunch at the local Mac’s……..

Murso's own Mac's

Muros’ own Mac’s

………..we wound up the 55 meters of anchor chain we had out by hand and headed across the bay to Portosin to moor up in a marina while the strong winds forecasted blow through.

We arrived to a cacophony of rockets booming and sirens and horns blaring ……. how did they know we were coming???

It turns out that it was St Carmel’s day and all the fishing fleet were ‘dressed’ and local boats, of all shapes and sizes, were gathering for a trip around the bay to bless the waters. We quickly hoisted our St George’s pennant to join in the spirit of the occasion and  give it it’s first airing……(must get some more flags!)

The flag we bought in Quimper

St George we bought in Quimper

The flotilla heading off for the blessing

The  ‘dressed’ flotilla heading off for the blessing

St Carmel and her boys returning after a hard evenings blessing

St Carmel and ‘her boys’ returning after a hard evening’s blessing

We have met up with some other  boats, moored on the our pontoon, flying the Cruising Association burgee, … Margaret and Roger on ‘Magnetic Attraction’ a 41′ Premier Steel deck saloon, and John, Colin and James on ‘Kika’, a 38′ 1976 Rival.

This is just another case of coincidences….. back in January,  at the Jimmy Cornell talk, Marcus  sat next to Roger and I  sat next to John. There were over 100 people at the talk and we all sat at the same table and are now on the same pontoon in Portosin! We are all bound in the same direction so will definitely meet again.

In the evening we set off towards the town, with Roger and Margaret, to get something to eat. We sat down at 2315 and were served our meal at 0010, just as Carmel’s firework display started, right in front of the restaurant. We were sitting outside and had half an hour’s free entertainment and an excellent meal. We’re still adjusting to eating so late in the evening.


The day was spent trying to get to grips with the anchor winch and Marcus welcomed the advice and help Roger gave him.
Roger has spent the last 10 years readying their boat for the cruise, so he has been extremely helpful diagnosing the probable problem with the anchor windlass and helping with suggestions for the extricating of the motor from the deck locker.

Marcus bowing to Roger's superior knowledge!

Marcus bowing to Roger’s superior knowledge!

The problem seems to be that the gear box worm has gone…… whoosh over my head! I’ve heard of worms turning, but not going……and if gone….where to? Anyway the upshot is, we have got to cut a hole under the motor to drop it down into the chain locker before it can be stripped and then, hopefully, it’s worm will return.




  1. We met you in Le Palais when we were moored alongside. Just had a first look at your blog -glad to see that all is going well. Good luck to you both – Sue and David [White Lady]


      Lovely to hear from you, Sue and David. We are having a good time and making our way slowly, but surely south. The Galician Rias are well worth a visit and offer good shelter. We have just over a month to get down to the Canaries ….. there is never enough time! Where are you now? M&M

You must be logged in to leave a reply.